For anyone with any kind of allergy, whether it’s asthma, a sensitivity to pet hair or general airborne irritants, taking the time to get the right vacuum is an absolute must.
Today, we’ll walk you through 10 of the best vacuum cleaner for allergies reviews so you can make the right choice without giving yourself a headache.
Straight off the bat, we’ll look at a few pointers to bear in mind when you are looking for a suitable vacuum to see of all of these pathogens and fine dust particles.
We’ll then serve up 10 FAQs to stop you needing to further research the issue and finish up with our reviews.
Table of Contents
- What To Consider When Buying ?
- 10 Best Vacuum for Allergies Reviews 2016 - 2017
- 1 Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum
- 2 Miele 41HAE032USA Dynamic U1 Maverick
- 3 New Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum
- 4 Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy
- 5 SEBO 9559AM Automatic X4
- 6 Dyson V8 Animal Cord Free Vacuum
- 7 Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet
- 8 Miele Classic C1 Olympus Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- 9 Eufy RoboVac 11, High Suction, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
- 10 VonHaus 600W 2 in 1 Corded Lightweight Upright Stick & Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
What To Consider When Buying ?
Before launching in and potentially buying the wrong kind of vacuum, take a few minutes to have a look at 5 major factors that should influence your purchasing decision.
- Filtration: Is HEPA Filtration All You Need?
- Bagged or Bagless?
- Sealed Systems
- Type of Vacuum
Filtration: Is HEPA Filtration All You Need?
There’s no denying the importance of a HEPA filter for protecting you against the full gamut of irritants, pathogens and airborne nuisances that can provoke allergic reactions.
That said, it’s neither a total necessity nor the only element that counts when it comes to the best vacuum cleaner for allergies.
Many vacuums actually leak dust at various weak points along the filter system. You can have the most effective HEPA filtration technology can produce but it’s as good as useless if your vacuum is leaking dust.
To prevent this from happening, this brings us to our next point, sealed systems…
Put simply, a sealed system means that the filter and air channel won’t leak any exhaust. To achieve this, all of the exhaust air must first travel through the HEPA filter ensuring all allergens are removed. At this point, it can safely be expelled into the room.
Look for a sealed system vacuum if you want to be absolutely certain that these fine particles stay out of your lungs and inside the vacuum where they belong.
Bagged or Bagless?
In general, most people prefer the convenience and lack of ongoing costs associated with bagless vacuums. This is perfectly understandable.
If you have asthma or allergies, though, you’d be wise to think carefully about opting for a bagged vacuum instead.
While some of the best bagless vacs do a great job of keeping allergens locked away, the problem arises when you need to empty the dirt container. Doing so almost always creates at least some dust.
With a bagged vacuum, by contrast, simply remove the bag and dispose of it then replace it with another while sidestepping the potential irritation.
Best Type of Vacuum for Allergy Sufferers
There’s no right or wrong answer here because it depends to a very large extent on the surfaces in your home.
As a rule of thumb, uprights work best for carpeted floors while canisters are a smart move if you have mainly hard flooring.
As far as certification goes, in the US, there’s the Asthma and Allergy Foundation while in the UK you can find the British Allergy Foundation.
Bear in mind that these bodies only have finite resources and their remit is not to test every vacuum under the sun. Also, since they only test emissions, there are many other factors left disregarded.
Take into account that the presence of an Allergy Friendly certificate is no guarantee it’s the best vacuum for allergies while its absence does not necessarily mean it won’t work well.
Think of this certification as a guide only and use it as part of your research rather than basing everything on this point.
Before we break down the very best options at your disposal if you have any kind of allergy, we’ll summarize some of the most frequently asked questions so you can widen your knowledge further…
What Is An Allergy?
If you’re unusually sensitive to any particular substance, you could be suffering from an allergy. Whether that’s dust or foodstuffs, pollen or pet hair, medication or insects, allergies are wide-ranging and surprisingly common. Symptoms vary but often include itching or rashes on the skin, sneezing fits and inflamed areas or hives.
What Are The Most Common Allergens?
A sensitivity to dust mites tops the list so it’s essential to buy an effective vacuum cleaner to keep these at bay. Mold of all types irritates many people while pet dander is another frequent nuisance. Food can provoke allergies whether it’s peanuts or shellfish, milk or eggs.
What Causes an Allergy?
Reactions take place when your immune system fights back against foreign objects. The problem is that your body wrongly assumes these benign substances are extremely harmful. The antibodies produced to attack them lead to an allergic reaction. Often today, we are cossetted and our bodies don’t get the chance to build up resistance. The cause is an overreaction leading to an allergic outbreak.
Which Allergens Can a Good Vacuum for Allergies Filter Out?
Mold spores can be easily brought into line with the right vacuum. By trapping them inside the vac, they will be unable to reproduce and further worsen the quality of the air inside your home. Pet dander can also be dealt with quite easily if you have the appropriate vacuum. To see off dust mites, it’s important to also vacuum your furniture and mattresses. You can easily combat allergens with the correct equipment.
What Makes a Good Vacuum Cleaner for Allergies?
The key element to consider is the filtration. HEPA filters offer by far the most protection. Whether or not you have allergies, these S-class filters are always a smart move.
What Is HEPA Filtration?
High-Efficiency Particulate Absorber (HEPA) filters get rid of 99.9% of all allergens. These filters have an arrangement of randomized fibers, most often fiberglass. Acting much like a sieve they filter out even the minutest particles and stop them from plaguing allergy sufferers. To qualify as a HEPA filter, in the US it must be effective down to 0.03 microns. In Europe, the standard is even more rigorous at 0.01 microns.
Bagged or Bagless for Allergy Sufferers?
In general, bagged vacuums work best if you have allergies. It’s crucial that dust is trapped then removed from your home in the most hygienic and efficient manner possible. Bagless vacuums force you to empty the dust container which not only puts you in close contact with fine particles but also risks them escaping back into the air.
What Are Some Good Brands for Allergy Specific Vacuums?
Miele are dominant when it comes to vacuum filtration. This German company has been up and running for more than 100 years and their HEPA filters are first class. SEBO is another industry giant. Another German brand, their vacuums are designed for use in hospitals and hygiene along with filtration is uppermost.
What Is Odor Filtration?
Alongside making sure allergens stay safely inside the vacuum, the best vacs for allergy sufferers often include deodorizers or charcoal filters so the smell is dispatched along with the dust.
Why Is Cleaning The Edges So Important?
A great deal of bacteria and dust can gather along the edges of your rooms. Look for vacuums with nozzles and edging tools to help you get the job done with ease.
Now you have a sound idea of what to look out for in the best vacuum cleaner for allergies, it’s time to check out 10 of the very strongest vacs on the market in this area…
10 Best Vacuum for Allergies Reviews 2016 - 2017
1 Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum
First up in our best vacuum cleaner for allergies reviews is an extremely popular and very well reviewed bagless upright from Bissell. This brand has a hard-won reputation for providing top-tier vacuum cleaners without the ruthless price tag of Dyson or Shark.
Excellent filtration is key if you are sensitive to allergens and contaminants or plagued by asthma. While the Bissell is one of the few vacuums on this list without HEPA-filtration, the multi-level filters mean you won’t be irritated by fine dust belched back into the atmosphere.
There are various bundles available that focus on deodorizing and eliminating unsavory smells. The Febreze post-motor filter makes sure that your house will not just look spotless but smell sweet too.
Although it’s corded, you’ll get a 25-foot power cable which is more than enough to clean even bigger spaces without needing to switch power outlets constantly. One Pass Technology guarantees you won’t need to keep going over the same patch and you can minimize your cleaning time without sacrificing results.
The suction on this upright is powerful enough to deal with stubborn stains, pet hair and anything else you throw its way. Fortunately, you don’t have to put up with a bulky unit to get this raw performance. At 15 pounds, it might not be the lightest vacuum on the block but it’s easy enough to move around without burdening yourself.
For an inexpensive but efficient vacuum that will keep anyone sensitive safe from harm, think seriously about the Bissell 9595A. It delivers fully without hurting your pocket.
- Extremely reasonably priced without compromising on build quality or performance
- Powerful upright but still highly maneuverable at just 15 pounds
- Bulky dirt bin that’s very easy to empty without making a mess
- Nice set of attachments for a vacuum at this price point
- Multi-cyclonic system grades fine dust and larger debris so great for allergy sufferers
- Awkward to vacuum under beds or couches
Type: Upright | Our Rating: 5/5
2 Miele 41HAE032USA Dynamic U1 Maverick
Miele vacuums are renowned for their first-class filtration so fit the bill perfectly for anyone with allergies. It’s no accident that 3 of our top 10 vacuum cleaners for allergies come from this family-owned German company that’s been in business for well over a century.
With a combination of full HEPA-filtration and Miele’s proprietary AirClean Sealed System, pretty much all irritants and airborne pathogens are safely captured inside along with finer dust. This means anyone with any kind of sensitivity can rest easy.
A nifty rotary deal lets you flick between 4 power options according to the surface you’re cleaning. This is ideal for houses with mixed flooring and no desire to purchase multiple vacuums.
Cleaning under and around furniture is a breeze thanks to the unique flat-to-the-floor design.
For general cleaning purposes and convenience, many people prefer bagless vacuums. If you have allergies, though, bagged vacuums offer the advantage of not exposing you to the dust you have just vacuumed when emptying the dirt container. In tandem with the Miele exhaust on top of the vacuum rather than at the sides, you minimize the chance of any irritation without losing out on raw cleaning power.
The Miele U1 Maverick is a strong contender for the best vacuum cleaner for allergies. If anyone in your family needs a helping hand to breathe clearly, check out the U1 today!
- Miele’s patented AirClean Sealed System traps 99.9% of contaminants and allergens inside letting you breathe easily
- HEPA-filtration without an outrageous price tag
- 4 power settings so copes with any surface fuss-free
- Flattened design lets you clean under furniture with absolute ease
- Ultra-generous 39-foot cord so enjoy the freedom of a cordless with the power of a corded vacuum: a double-win
- Carpet motor can play up so be warned if you have mainly carpeted floors
- Not the cheapest option but relatively inexpensive for a Miele
Type: Upright | Our Rating: 5/5
3 New Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum
Another Miele up next, this time the C3 Cat and Dog.
Straight off the bat, be warned that the C3 is not cheap. It makes Dysons look affordable! What you get in return is a truly world-beating vacuum that will keep going for decades if you treat it right.
As with all Miele vacuums, incredible attention to detail on the filter front means anyone with asthma or allergies can seriously reduce the chance of being menaced by airborne pathogens. The charcoal in the filter is an awesome way to strike back at the odors left behind by pets in the house.
Suitable for cleaning any surface, the 6 speed settings are operated by a neat foot control so you can focus on cleaning mixed flooring without breaking your stride. An Electro Brush and Parquet Twister helps you deal with everything from deeper pile carpeting through to a range of hard floor surfaces.
The drawback of needing to buy replacement bags is offset by simply ditching the entire bag rather than needing to empty a dirt container and finding the dust blows back in your face.
It’s pointless to hide the fact that the Miele C3 is an extremely pricy vacuum. Don’t even think about stretching yourself if your budget doesn’t make the nut. If you do have the spare cash, though, the C3 truly is one of the very best vacuum cleaners for allergies on the market.
- AirClean Sealed System pioneered by Miele looks after anyone with allergies and sensitivities
- Charcoal layers to filter wick away and neutralize unwanted smells from your pets
- 6 speed settings via user-friendly foot controls optimizes cleaning whatever the surface
- Mini Turbo Brush to eliminate dust and pet hair from furniture or awkward spots
- HEPA bags so no exposure to dust and fine particles like you get on many bagless vacs
- Outrageously expensive so not a vacuum for everyone
Type: Canister | Our Rating: 5/5
4 Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy
As the name clearly states, the Dyson Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy is tailor-made for animal-lovers and anyone sensitive to the pathogens that can invade the home and bring about adverse reactions.
With HEPA-filtration throughout, you can bank on all the nasty particles that might irritate you being safely stashed inside the vacuum. When it comes time to empty the dust container, you can do at the push of a button without debris being spewed back at you.
The cleaner head self-adjusts so you can confidently clean any surface without needing to fiddle with controls or worrying about damaging your flooring.
The filters require zero maintenance. This is a precious boon for allergy sufferers.
It’s not the lightest vacuum you could buy but this is counterbalanced by a fine array of attachments and a quick-release hose/wand combo. From floor to ceiling, the Big Ball gets the job done well and gets it done quickly into the bargain.
The outstanding suction power and turbine tool that won’t get bogged down with hair means that cleaning up after your pets doesn’t need to give you a headache or bring about fits of coughing and sneezing.
For a multi-purpose vacuum that will take care of all your cleaning needs while protecting you from all pathogens, the Dyson Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy is a leading candidate for best vacuum cleaner for allergies.
- No need to maintain filters so ideal for allergy-sufferers
- HEPA-filtration throughout the entire unit so no irritation from fine dust and contaminants
- Outstanding set of accessories for whole-house cleaning the easy way
- Bagless but bin emptying is a cinch and does not expose you to dust
- Covered by top-notch Dyson guarantee so buy with complete confidence
- Not cheap but the best things in life seldom are
- Fairly bulky unit at 20 pounds
Type: Upright | Our Rating: 4.8/5
5 SEBO 9559AM Automatic X4
As we reach the midpoint in our best vacuum cleaner for allergies reviews, another marvel of German engineering in the form of SEBO’s 9559AM Automatic X4. The name might not trip off the tongue but this vac is all about business.
Hospitals are the epitome of cleanliness. SEBO vacuums make use of S-class filters fit cut out for use in a medical setting so this translates to a perfectly purified house that will cause minimal aggravation to anyone with allergies or asthma.
For pet owners, the hair and dander they leave behind can seriously aggravate allergies. With a highly effective turbo brush and lengthy hose, you can put paid to everything they leave behind and keep the air you breathe squeaky clean.
Most homes today have mixed flooring. Whether you have carpets, rugs or any variant of hard floors, the auto-adjusting height means you can get the best results regardless of the floor’s finish.
Finished in a glossy red, the SEBO looks great and performs even better. For a vacuum cleaner that keeps all allergens at bay, the 9559 is really tough to beat.
- Hospital-grade filtration gives you completely purified air in your home
- 12-inch cleaning path lets you get your house clean quick-smart
- Turbo brush and hose allows you to clean up everything left behind by the animals in your home
- Auto-leveling guarantees effective cleaning whatever the floor surface
- Hose and Active Wand simplifies your above-floor cleaning
- Eye-wateringly expensive so make sure this meshes with your budget
- Almost 17 pounds so not the lightest unit on offer
Type: Upright | Our Rating: 4.8/5
6 Dyson V8 Animal Cord Free Vacuum
Another entry from Dyson next, the outstanding V8 Animal cordless.
Many cordless vacuums fall down in terms of either run time or loss of suction. With the V8 you get all the convenience of a cordless along with over half an hour of cleaning time and no fade-out of power whatsoever.
The highly capable HEPA filters suck everything up and keep it locked away so you won’t find fine particles spat back out into the room inflaming your allergies.
The dust container is substantial and you can empty it with ease and without coming into contact with the debris.
A double row of 15 cyclones increases airflow leading to stronger suction. This innovative design also prevents smaller airborne particles from bothering anyone with an allergy or sensitivity.
As with every Dyson vacuum, you get a class-leading warranty meaning you can relax if anything goes amiss. Generally speaking, the more confident a manufacturer is with their product, the longer and more comprehensive the guarantee.
If you want a vacuum fit for cleaning all surfaces efficiently while protecting anyone in your household who experiences allergies or asthma, the Dyson V8 Animal is a cordless that won’t let you down. Check one out today if your budget permits!
- Exceptional 40 minutes of cleaning on a single charge
- Captures all allergens thanks to whole-machine HEPA filters
- Neatly converts to a handheld for maximum versatility
- Powerful brush roll sucks up even ingrained debris and pet hair to keep your house immaculate
- Max Power Mode gives you a 6 or 7 minute burst for dealing with particularly bothersome messes
- Like any Dyson, the V8 is by no means cheap
Type: Cord Free | Our Rating: 4.7/5
7 Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet
Shark has a stranglehold on competitively priced vacuums with high-grade functionality. While you couldn’t exactly call them cheap, they are not cripplingly expensive either.
The Rotator is a full-sized upright that packs quite a punch but weighs a mere 13 pounds so you’ll get plenty of maneuverability alongside impressive performance. And there’s even more flexibility to come…
The Lift-Away part of its name refers to the detachable canister which widens your cleaning options without requiring you to buy a separate smaller vac.
With Shark’s patented Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and HEPA-filtration, there’s little risk of any irritation if you have asthma or are otherwise sensitive.
The Rotator performs strongly on all surfaces so you can get by with a single vacuum even if you have a mixture of carpets and hard flooring.
For a hard-hitting vacuum for allergies without the astronomical price tag of some of the vacs on this list, the Shark Rotator is well worth your consideration. Backed by Shark’s excellent warranty, you have nothing to worry about and a great chance to keep your allergies in check.
- Best of both worlds as an upright that converts into a canister
- Motorized brush and pet tool clears up everything your pets leave in their wake
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology a secret weapon for anyone with allergies or asthma
- Fingertips controls lets you slide with ease from carpets to hard flooring so suitable for all surfaces
- Swivel steering and LED lights helps you clean awkward or dark areas without missing any debris
- Relatively expensive although excellent value for money
- Some complaints about build quality
Type: Upright | Our Rating: 4.7/5
8 Miele Classic C1 Olympus Canister Vacuum Cleaner
As we near the end of our best vacuum cleaner for allergies reviews, a third Miele machine, this time the C1 Olympus.
This German outfit places a premium on filtration which is extremely important for anyone with allergies. Just about all particles, however fine, are trapped inside keeping them safely out of your way.
Although the C1 is corded, at almost 30 feet long, you should have more than sufficient play to clean even a large room without needing to move from outlet to outlet.
Suction is strong enough to blitz even ingrained filth and leave your house as fresh as a daisy. Flicking a switch lets you move from surface to surface without any fear of damaging your hardwood or getting bogged down in thick rugs or deep-pile carpets.
Accessories are not the best but you’ll get a crevice tool, dusting brush and upholstery tool which are secured by a clip to avoid misplacing them.
If you want to buy into the great brand heritage of Miele and safeguard anyone in the house with allergies, the C1 Olympus makes a great starting point.
- Miele’s proprietary AirClean filter protects anyone with asthma or allergies since all lung-irritating particles are wicked away
- Great for all floors with a simple switch letting you move from carpet to hardwood seamlessly
- Pretty cheap as far as Miele vacuums go
- Superb suction gets all dirt and debris sucked up with great efficiency
- Variable speed motor affords flexibility across all flooring
- Not a great piece of kit for dealing with pet hair
Type: Canister | Our Rating: 4.7/5
9 Eufy RoboVac 11, High Suction, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
As we draw toward the end of our best vacuum cleaner for allergies reviews, we’ll throw in an affordable but high-performing robotic vacuum from Eufy.
If you find cleaning the house a tiresome chore but don’t want to employ home help, why not consider a robot vacuum?
The RoboVac 11 is specifically designed to help anyone with allergies or asthma with its triple filtration and drop-sensing technology.
While the Eufy takes most surfaces in its stride, if you have especially deep pile carpet or very dark flooring, think twice about investing.
Due to its ultra-low profile, this robot slips under furniture without getting jammed or banging into anything.
With a choice of Edge, Max and Spot modes, you can take care of all your cleaning without needing to pull out a conventional vacuum after it’s done.
Seeing off dust mites, spores and all the detritus left in the wake of your animals, the Eufy RoboVac is a must for any allergy sufferers.
- All the convenience a robotic vacuum offers without needing to take out a bank loan
- Superb triple filtration makes sure you are not bothered by allergens or contaminants in the air
- Patented 3-point cleaning system buffs up the whole house leaving everything spotless
- Avoids obstacles or falls thanks to first-rate sensors
- Get 90 minutes of run time on a single charge so fit for even larger houses
- Pet hair can get snarled up so be prepared for this if you have animals at home
Type: Robotic| Our Rating: 4.6/5
10 VonHaus 600W 2 in 1 Corded Lightweight Upright Stick & Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Last up in our best vacuum cleaner for allergies reviews is a rock-solid upright stick that converts to a handheld from VonHaus.
Although the manufacturer flags this vacuum as suitable for all surfaces, we would advise exercising extreme caution when it comes to hardwood floors. Many users have experienced scratches so err on the side of safety and roll with something else if you have wooden flooring.
That minor niggle aside, the VonHaus offers sterling value for money while delivering outstanding cleaning results.
The filtration is far more than you would expect from a budget-conscious vacuum. The HEPA filter stops any smaller particles from circulating back into the atmosphere. This is backed up by a superb sponge filter ensuring that whatever your sensitivities, you won’t find yourself sneezing or irritated.
If you’re operating on a tight budget but not prepared to put your health in jeopardy, the VonHaus is well worth popping on your shortlist.
- Incredible value for money without dipping out on performance
- HEPA and sponge filters are a win-win for allergy-prone users
- Deals with the full range of flooring with equal effectiveness
- Large dust container is easy to empty without any mess or blowback
- Get the suction power of an upright combined with the all-round versatility of a handheld when you need it
- Do not use on hardwood floors as you risk scratches marring the finish
Type: Lightweight Upright Stick & Handheld | Our Rating: 4.6/5